BACK TO MAIN PAGE
Tinkling Spring Photo Album
Deeply imbedded in the history of the settlement of
Augusta County is Tinkling Spring Church. The first settlers from the north were
John Lewis who arrive in 1732 and William Beverley who was given a large land
grant in 1736. The Scotch-Irish Presbyterians who followed lost no time in
forming the Triple Forks of the Shenandoah Congregation and in petitioning the
Donegal Presbytery for the services of a minister. Two centers of worship
developed--Tinkling Spring and the Augusta Stone Meeting Houses. These pictures
are from Howard McKnight Wilson's The Tinkling Spring: Headwater of Freedom,
A study of the Church and Her People, 1732-1952, permission granted by
Tinkling Spring Church.
Tinkling Spring Church was officially founded in 1740.
The first meeting house was a log cabin measuring twenty-four by fifty feet.
The floor plan shows seating arrangement and pew rent.
The small pulpit was located along the west wall. The interior was severely
simple and the floor was the ground over which the the sanctuary was
constructed. The pews were simple benches without backs, probably made of split
logs.
This monument, which stands outside the Fellowship
Hall, reads, "Sacred to the Memory of the Immigrants to this valley who turned
the wilderness into habitations." It lists the names of the original members who
were assessed twelve shillings each to build the first meeting house.
Administratively, the membership was divided into three Quarters headed by John
Christian, William Wright, and John Finley. Christian's quarter included
families named Black, Cowin, Wilson, Long, Bell, Alexander, Stewart, Patton,
Hall, Robison, Cristian, Davison, McCollock, Caldwell, Armstrong, Rutledge,
Henderson, Conegham, Thomson, Scott, Gamel, Ramsey, Preston, Maxwell, McDonal,
Russell, Lewis, Hutchison, McClanahan, Brackenridge, and McCollock. Wright's
quarter included families named Smith Hutchison, Palmer, Thomson, Moday, Frazer,
Johnston, Logan, Henderson, Scileran, Black, Cear, McCune, Fergeson, and Wright.
Finley's quarter included families named McClure, Turk, Gay, Finley, McCollock,
Gelaspey, Edmiston, Campbell, Stewart, Peterson, Cear, Tays, Steel, and
White. (Photo courtesy of Ellen L. Moffett)
Interest in building a new meeting house began in 1777 when the subscribers
agreed to pay the costs. However, completion of the building was delayed by the
war and it wasn't until about 1792 that the Stone Sanctuary shown here was
completed.
The present church building was erected in
1849 and remodeled in 1916. |
The statue of Pioneer Woman was chosen by Howard
McKnight Wilson as the Frontispiece in his The Tinkling Spring:
Headwater of Freedom, A study of the Church and Her People,
1732-1952. |
Augusta Stone Meeting House, Ft. Defiance,
Virginia, 1740[The map
of Beverley Manor and Bordon Grants shows its location just outside the Manor
line.]
The Congregation of the Triple Forks of the
Shenandoah, established two meeting houses in 1740--Tinkling Spring and the
Augusta Stone, both served by Rev. John Craig. The original Augusta Stone
building was a log cabin similar to that at Tinkling Spring. The stone building
seen here was built 1747-1749 and was to serve both as a meeting house and a
fort. Still serving its people today, it has the distinction of being the oldest
Presbyterian Church in continuous use in Virginia.
Last Updated: August 2020