Coos County
NHGenWeb

Jefferson 1888 History

CHAPTER XXXII.

Name and Territory Embraced — First and Second Grants — Second Charter— Petition — Incorporation — Record of First Town Meeting — Names of Voters — Roads — Bridges — Taverns — Residents, Polls, Stocks and Improvements in 1812.

JEFFERSON was formerly called Dartmouth, but when it was incorporated it assumed its present name in honor of Thomas Jefferson. It embraces the original territory of Dartmouth, and a part of Kilkenny. The first charter of Dartmouth, granted October 3, 1765, to John Goffe, Esq., and fifty-seven others, among them David Page, of Lancaster, was forfeited; and June 26, 1772, it was again granted, but to different persons from the first, excepting four, whose names appear as grantees in both charters. Theodore Atkinson. Daniel Ward. Mark Hunking Wentworth and Stephen Holland. There were seventy shares and seventy grantees named in the second charter, which granted "something more than six miles square; twenty-four thousand, five hundred and eighty-one acres," bounded thus: —

"Beginning at a white pine tree (marked I. G. October 1763-6) standing on the westerly side of Israels River, so-called, nearly opposite the second crotch from Connecticut river, and running west one hundred and sixty-three rods to Lancaster easterly line: thence south 69° west one hundred and sixty-eight rods by Lancaster, from thence south six miles two hundred and sixty rods to a rock maple tree (marked V. R. 1771), then turning off and running East five miles and an half mile, thence west four miles and one half mile to the bound began at."

Among the conditions of the charter all white pine suitable for masting the Royal Navy was reserved to the Crown; certain improvements were to be done; and all the reservations and specifications of the formal charter of that day were presented.

Petition for Incorporation.

"State of New Hampshire.
"To the honorable Senate, and house of representives convened in general assembly.
"The petition of the subscribers, inhabitants of a place called Dartmouth, in the County of Grafton, and State of New Hampshire, humbly sheweth, that said Dartmouth is inhabited by twenty four families, which labor under many inconveniences for want of legal authority to conduct town business, in consequence of which, they suffer much on account of highways being neglected, which not only injures the inhabitants, but has a tendency to retard further settlement: wherefore your petitioners pray this honorable court to consider their case, and incorporate them into a town, that they may be vested with such authority as other towns within said State by law exercise and enjoy. And your petitioners shall ever pray
"Dartmouth 29th May 1793.
"John Marden, John Holmes, Samuel Hart, Samuel Holmes, Richard Stalbird, Elijah Moulton, James Rider"

In House of Representatives, June 12, 1793, a hearing was ordered for the second Thursday of the next session. This petition was not granted, and another was presented by Col. Joseph Whipple, as agent for the town, dated May 20, 1796, which was granted.

Incorporation. — By an act of legislature approved December 8, 1796, the territory of Dartmouth was incorporated as the town of Jefferson. "John Marden (or in case of his death, other disability or refusal, Jonas Baker,) is hereby authorized to call the first meeting of said inhabitants to choose all necessary and customary town officers, giving fourteen days notice of the time, place, and design of such meeting."

Town Records. — As early as March, 1798, we have the first record of a town meeting, in which John Marden was chosen moderator, Samuel Plaisted, town clerk, and Benning Simes, James Hight and Samuel Plaisted, selectmen. John Ingerson was collector "at five pence per pound," and James Hight and Benning Simes were his bondsmen. William Hewes, Richard Marden and Capt. James Rider were surveyors of highways, and William Summers and William Moulton tythingmen." Benjamin Hicks and Daniel Moulton, "hog reeves." Daniel Moulton was engaged to get a copy of the "charter of the town' "for eight dollars and eighty-two cents" and it was voted to raise two hundred dollars to be "laid out" on the roads, men's labor "four shillings and six pence per day," and " oxen work " three shillings per day. It was also voted to raise thirty dollars to support a school, (in cash, or wheat at one dollar per bushel,) and also to raise "nine pounds" to pay for the charter, and to defray necessary charges. The chairman of the selectmen received two dollars for his services, and the town clerk one dollar for the year.

There were at this time about twenty voters and the tax list contained the names of Joseph Whipple, Richard Marden, James Hight, John Marden, William Hewes, John Ingerson, William Ingerson, Samuel Marden, William Moulton, George Holmes, Samuel W. Hart, Samuel Hart, Samuel Plaisted, Benning Simes, Ezekiel Moulton, John Holmes, Benjamin Hicks, Lazarus Holmes, John Garland, John Holmes, James Rider, Richard Stalbird, Thomas Whittam, William Shores, Daniel Moulton, William Summers, F. K. Foster, James Twombley, Benjamin Twombley, Reuben Haywood, James Wentworth, and Joseph Bachelder.

Roads and bridges, schools, and the care of the poor engaged the attention of the people. One lame widow was cared for many years by different families in turn, for a small sum per week or month. But little money was in circulation. Wheat was sometimes used instead, and taxes were not easily collected.

Roads and Taverns. — The "old turnpike" for years was the principal road in Jefferson. It was the great thoroughfare between "the Upper Coos'' and Portland. It was on this road at the Meadows that the Whipple farm was located, and, probably, the first public house opened. Here, on a wild mountain stream, were erected a saw-mill and a mill for grinding provender. Soon after mills were erected on Israel's river, at "Jefferson Mills," by Mr. Whipple, and in 1804 a good bridge was built across the river at this place, and rebuilt in 1826.

The old county road from Gorham, on the Androscoggin, through Randolph, over Jefferson hill to Lancaster, was in use at an early date; and, May 26, 1820, a road from Jefferson hill to "Whipple's" on the turnpike was "laid out" and surveyed by Jonas Baker, Esq. This road was so straight that you could look from one end and see the other, distant about four miles, through heavily timbered woods. No engineering instruments were used; nothing but a true eye served as guide.

In 1799 Eleazer Dennison, Esq., kept a public house situated down the river about four miles from the Whipple place, at what is now known as the Howe farm. From this point on the turnpike a road was "laid out" to Whitefield line, June 7, 1820. This place is, perhaps, a mile up the river from Jefferson Mills. Dennison's license was signed by John Marden, James Rider, William Hewes, selectmen of Jefferson; Reuben Haywood, town clerk.

Samuel Plaisted was also licensed as a "tavernor" September 5, 1811. Mr. Plaisted was an agent for Mr. Whipple, and probably opened the first public house in town. His son, B. H. Plaisted, Esq., kept the old "Red tavern" many years, and in 1860 built a part of the famous "Waumbek Hotel," now occupied by Charles Hartshorn, Esq. In 1874 B. H. Plaisted built the "Plaisted House," now owned by his son Philip C. Plaisted.

Residents, rolls, Stock and Improvements, 1812. — -Jack Stocks, one poll,. one horse, one cow, one two year old; George Holmes, one poll, one cow, one head young stock, three acres arable land, six acres mowing, and seven acres pasture; William Summers, one poll, one horse, two oxen, two cows, two acres plow and six acres mowing land, and one acre pasture; Thomas Willson, one poll, two horses, two steers, one acre tillage and two acres mowing land; Samuel Plaisted, Jr., one poll, one horse, two oxen, three cows, three young cattle, one and one-half acres arable and nine acres mowing land; Ezra Foster, one poll, two oxen, two cows, one young creature; Joseph Whipple, Esq., seven horses and colts, six oxen, twenty cows, ten young cattle, ten acres arable, forty-five acres mowing and twenty-nine acres pasture; Samuel Plaisted, Esq., one poll, one colt, four young cattle, five acres mowing land; William Denison, one poll, one horse, three cows, two young cattle; Abner Flanders, one poll, two oxen, two cows, four acres mowing land and four acres pasture; Jabez Garland, one poll, two oxen, five cows, three young cattle, one acre arable land and six acres mowing; Benning Simes, one poll, one horse, two oxen, three cows, six head young cattle, two acres tillage, thirteen acres mowing and two acres pasture land; Isaac Sawyer, fifteen acres pasture; Richard Perkins, one poll, one cow, two young cattle, two acres tillage and nine acres pasture; Richard Perkins, Jr., one poll, two horses, four oxen, ten acres mowing land; William Chamberlain, one poll, two horses, two oxen, five cows, nine young cattle, three acres tillage, ten acres mowing, and ten acres pasture land; John Hart, one poll, one horse, two oxen, six cows, four young cattle, three acres tillage and twelve acres mowing land; Nicholas Stillings, one poll, one horse, two steers, one cow and one young creature, one half acre tillage and two acres mowing land; George Ingerson, one poll, one horse; Lazarus Holmes, one poll, one horse, two oxen, five cows, three young cattle, two acres tillage, seven acres mowing, one acre pasture; Mehitable Hight, one heifer; John Garland, one poll, two horses, two oxen, four cows, two acres tillage, four acres mowing land; Nathaniel Stalbird, one poll, one horse, two oxen, three cows, two young cattle, two acres tillage and six acres mowing land; John Ingerson, one poll, one cow, two acres tillage and five acres mowing land; William Ingerson, one poll, one colt, two oxen, four cows, six young cattle, two acres tillage and five acres mowing land; Ephraim Drew, one poll, one horse, one cow; James Rider, one poll, one horse, two oxen, three cows, two young cattle, three acres tillage, twelve acres mowing and five acres pasture land; James Holmes, one poll; James Holmes, Jr., one poll, one cow, one young creature, one acre mowing land; John Holmes, one cow, one calf, two acres mowing land; Nath. Holmes, one poll, one cow, two young cattle; Daniel Deshong, one poll, one cow, one acre tillage, two acres mowing land; Daniel Moulton, one poll, one horse, three cows, one heifer, one acre tillage, five acres mowing land; Samuel Marden, one poll, one horse, two oxen, three cows, three young cattle, one and one half acres tillage, six acres mowing and one acre pasture land; John Marden, three cows; Jabez Garland, Jr., one poll; George Simes, one poll, one horse, two oxen, one cow, two young cattle; William Summers, Jr., one cow, one calf, one acre mowing land; Benjamin Hicks, one poll, one cow; David Perkins, one poll, one horse, one cow; Ebenezer Grant, one poll, one cow; Thomas Marden, one poll, one horse, two oxen, two cows, one calf, one and one half acres tillage and six acres mowing land; Paul Nute, one poll, one horse, two oxen, six cows, two calves, one acre tillage, ten acres mowing, three acres pasture land; Thomas D. Bailey, one poll, one horse; Bailey Dennison, one poll, three young cattle; Noyes Dennison, three cows.

CHAPTER XXXIII.

Population in 1775-1790-1800 — Scenery — Jefferson Hill — Traditions — Early Proprietors — Col. Joseph Whipple — Early Settlers — First Child — Pond of Safety — First White Woman — Deborah Vicker or "Granny Stalbird" — First Communication — First Cows — First Barrel of Rum — Adino N. Brackett's Description of Jefferson in 1821 — Boundaries — Population— Valuation.

DR. DWIGHT says of Jefferson at the commencement of this century, ''Jefferson contained four inhabitants in 1775; in 1790, 111; in 1800, 112. The reason why the population increases so slowly, is said to be the reluctance of the proprietor to sell the lands. The prospect in this valley is very noble. On a rising ground upon the road, about two miles southeastward of Lancaster, we were presented with one of the most interesting scenes, which ever met the eye. From Lancaster a vast basin, somewhat more than twenty miles in length, and twelve in breadth, opens to the southeast. Jefferson lies in the bottom of the great basin. At the distance of ten or twelve miles on the southern side of the basin, two mountains, spurs from those of Littleton, intrude finely into the valley. From the apparent summit of the farthest, descended a stream, till it was hidden by the summit of the nearest. On this, from the highest elevation also, flowed another, somewhat obliquely to the course of the first, but so nearly coinciding with it, that for some time we thought it a branch of the same, for we did not, at first, take notice of the fact, although sufficiently obvious, that there were two mountains. A moment's attention, however, presented the whole scene in its true light. The nearer stream came from a southwestern direction, until it reached the point of vision, in which it joined the course of the other. Both appealed to the eye, when loosely attentive, as a single cascade, parted from the summit of the nearer mountain, descending a vast length down a steep precipice, and glittering in the sunbeams like a torrent of liquid silver. The effect was magical; and the objects seemed more like the visions of fairy land, than the coarse realities of this rude world. Our company consisted of five, and whatever diversities of taste we might experience, they were all harmonized here, in a single gaze of astonishment and delight. Even the White Mountains were forgotten."

Jefferson Hill cannot be surpassed for mountain scenery, as at no other point in New Hampshire can the "White Hills" be seen in such majestic splendor. The little village lies on the high slopes of Mt. Starr King, and has the entire Presidential range in full view. Madison with its lofty peak, and Mt. Adams in all its grandeur are first seen; then Jefferson's steep sides and sharp summits are shown, and next, Mt. Washington towers above them in all its stately proportions, while farther on is Munroe, flanked by the smaller hills. But Jefferson's attractions are not limited to those of the Presidential range. Franconia range is within easy reach, and near at hand is Pliny range of which Starr King is the monarch. The top of Starr King is easily attained, and from there is a view only excelled by that from the summit of Mt. Washington. Within a short distance is Cherry mountain, with its famous slide. Then there are Jefferson meadows, which are drained by Israel's river, into which numerous brooks pour their waters, and these brooks are all trout streams. Cherry pond is the principal body of water. The drives are numerous, and over good roads. It is one of the best farming towns in the state; and the pure air and general healthfulness of the place make it justly celebrated as a summer resort.

Traditions. — The early settlers of Cohos found relics of the ill-fated Rangers, and tradition keeps green their memory in many a tale, which almost indicates the exact spot where the silver image, weighing eight pounds, which they brought from the church at St. Francis, and the long rolls of guineas, and other spoils were buried. Here is one which has so often been told as to be by many as implicitly believed as if it were true. A party of nine Rangers trusted themselves to an Indian guide on the Connecticut near the head of the Fifteen-mile falls, who agreed to take them through the Great Pass (Notch) of the mountains to the settlements below. They had the silver image, which in their weakened condition was a heavy load. Their guide led them up the Connecticut to Israel's river, and up this to the deep snow- laden gorges at the foot of the great White Hills. Pretending a fear that the Great Spirit would kill him if he ventured on the region of Agiocochook, the Indian made a rude map on birch bark, and gave it to one of the Rangers, at the same time, apparently accidentally, scratching his hand with a poisonous fang of a rattlesnake. Toiling on through the deep snows over the steep rocks, the poison did its fatal work, and, under the resulting madness, the Ranger flung himself over a precipice to death. The survivors, after a hasty consultation, concluded to bury their treasures in a cave where the fear of the Indians would prevent their discovery, and save themselves. The false chart of their guide misled them, and they wandered many days, suffering extreme hunger, and, one by one, succumbed to the fatigue and cold. Only one, it is said, survived, and he was crazed by his fearful exposure and suffering. Years after some hunters found a barkless spot on a pine tree at the mouth of a wild ravine, on which were many half-obliterated characters engraved by some rude tool. Near this were rusty buttons, rotting cloth, a small copper kettle and the metallic parts of a gun. At the foot of a steep bank six rusty gun-barrels were found with what might once have been a pile of knapsacks. An old hunter, exploring for this hidden treasure, sought shelter from a terrible storm under a projecting cliff. Here he discovered in the farther corner of the cave several stones forming a symmetrical pile. Beneath was found a hatchet deeply encrusted with rust and a roll of birch bark covered with the wax of wild bees. In the roll was an Indian-tanned fawn skin covered with mysterious characters. Many searches have been made for this hidden treasure, and yet the rocks preserve well the secret of the truth or falsity of this strange story.

J. H Spaulding gives this legend in his work on the White Mountains: —

"Among the defiles to the southeast at the head of Israel's river tradition locates the destruction of a detachment of Roger's Rangers, under circumstances weirdly horrible. The church plate, candlesticks, and a massive silver image were carried away by the conquerors of St. Francis. But large Indian forces rapidly gathered and hung on the line of their retreat, while heavy snows impeded the march. The Rangers soon broke up in small parties, each of which made its independent way southward. Nine of them attempted to carry the silver image to civilization, but were led astray by a perfidious Indian guide, who piloted them up Israel's river into the gloomy labyrinths of pine in the trackless gorges near its head, and then eluded them, after having poisoned one with a rattlesnake's fang. Bewildered among these dark ravines they sank, one by one, under terrible deprivation, and but one reached the settlements, bearing a knapsack partly filled with human flesh. The golden candlesticks were found near Lake Memphremagog in 1816, but the most earnest quest has not yet availed to discover the silver image.

"Numerous legends have been developed on this romantic background, among which are those of the hunter and the fawn-skin and parchment, the skeleton Indian in the speaking storm, the magic stone, the fortuneteller and the midnight quest, and the screeching of lost spirits. The most beautiful of these traditions is that of a lonely hunter, camping at night far up towards Mt. Adams, before whose astonished vision the mountain mist rolled hack and showed a great stone church, and within this was an altar, where from a sparkling censer rose a curling wreath of incense smoke, and around it lights dispersed a mellow glow, by which in groups before the altar appeared a tribe of savages kneeling in profound silence. A change came in the wind; a song loud and long rose as a voice offering to the Great Spirit ! then church spire, church and altar vanished, and down, the steep rock trailed a long line of strange looking men, in solemn silence. Before all, as borne by some airy spirit, sported a glittering image of silver, which in the deep shadows changed into fairy shape, and, with sparkling wings, disappeared in the rent rocks."

Col. Joseph Whipple, for years the leading man in this section, came in 1773, and obtained the ownership of the whole town, as follows: February 17, 1774, he purchased of Josiah Willard, of Winchester, three-sevenths of the town, being twenty-six of the original rights, paying therefor £400. April 12, 1774, he purchased of John Hurd, of Portsmouth, for £400 "proclamation money," the rights of twenty-six other grantees. September 29, 1774, for £45 he bought of John Hurd the rights of three other grantees. February 11, 1775, he paid John Hurd £30 for two more rights. Col. Whipple was for many years collector of taxes for the proprietors, and under this authority, he sold five shares for taxes about June 1, 1785. Each share was sold for £6, except one which brought £6-5-0. By June 31, 1785, Col. Whipple had bought them for exactly the sums for which they were sold. He had now purchased sixty-two of the seventy shares, paying £905-5-0 (about $4,023). We cannot find any record of a transfer to Mr. Whipple of the remaining eight shares; but, at a sheriff's sale held November 9, 1796, by David Webster, sheriff of Grafton county, at the house of Capt. Joseph Bliss, in Haverhill, Col. Whipple bid off the whole township for $181.62. This sale was made by reason of non-payment of state taxes for 1786, 1787, 1788, 1789, 1790. He had now acquired title to the whole town for about $4,200, an average of $60.07 per share. The town was divided into eleven ranges with twenty-four lots in a range, each lot containing 100 acres. The price at which the first lots were sold was one dollar per acre. It was customary, however, for the Colonel to give settlers fifty acres, and sell them the other half of the lot. This was ostensibly done to induce settlers to come here, but it was not infrequently the case that the recipient of the gift had to pay $100 for the other fifty acres of the lot. But notwithstanding all that tradition says against Col. Whipple, he was more than a common man and active in the early improvements. Largely by him, and through his influence, roads were made, mills built, taverns opened, stores, civilization introduced, and the wilderness reclaimed for thriving homes. Many years ago, however, he ceased to own any portion of the town.

During the Revolution Col. Whipple was here captured in his own house by a party of savages headed by a white man. He asked leave to go into another room to change his apparel, and to get some necessary articles for his march to Canada. This was granted, and he seized the opportunity to jump out of a back window and escape into the woods, where he eluded their pursuit. A Mr. Gotham, who lived with the Colonel, escaped at the same time, and running directly for the river, he was shot at while crossing it on a log, but the ball cut down an alder instead of the man, and he escaped without any harm but a sad fright. The party plundered the house, supplied themselves plentifully with provisions, and departed without further injury.

Early Settlers. — James Hight, a ship carpenter from Portsmouth, came in 1797 as Whipple's agent to take charge of his business. He paid, November 10, 1797, $100 for one half of lot No. 3, range 5, the other half of the lot being given him. Mr. Eight's house was nearly opposite "The Sunny Side" cottage. His daughter Mehetable, afterwards Mrs. John Garland, was the first child born to the settlers in town. The "old pound" was built in Mr. Hight's garden. Eleazer Dennison was Mr. Whipple's next agent. Samuel Plaisted was his third agent, and settled on lot 13, range 10, which was deeded to him, September 20, 1792, "said Plaisted to settle on the same, carry on the blacksmith trade, and pay £15." November 2, 1797, lot No. 9, range 7 — 100 acres — was deeded to John Holmes. One half was given him; for the other he paid $50. The " Waumbek Cottage" stands on this lot. John Marden settled on lot 8, range 6. He paid $100 for his land, November 11, 1799, and a second deed was given after Co. Whipple received his deed of the township from the sheriff. William Ingerson, Samuel Hart, Maiden, and Holmes came together from the navy yard at Portsmouth in the fall of 1797, with their families. They all lived in one small log house during the winter, and settled on four contiguous lots, which were as good ones as were in the town.

Among other early settlers were Benjamin Hicks, Capt. James Ryder, William Danforth and Lazarus Holmes. While serving in the Revolution they were captured by the British and paroled. Their officers did not recognize their parole on their return, and, on their refusing to serve until exchanged, pronounced them deserters. Being warned of approaching arrest and court martial, they fled to Jefferson, and were secreted at "Pond of Safety" in Durand (Randolph) until the close of the war. This gave the name to the pond. After the war closed they all settled in Jefferson and ranked among the best citizens. Peter and Nicholas Stillings were also early settlers. While some of the settlers knew much about pioneer life, many were entirely unacquainted with its hardships. None, however, anticipated what they were to experience. With many, the first few years were absolute struggles for life. The severities of winter, scarcity of clothing, scantiness and lack of variety of food, rudeness and inconvenience of their poor log houses, remoteness from mills and markets, lack of money and of means of getting it, the cold summers and short crops, combined with the barren educational facilities and destitution of religions privileges would have utterly discouraged any but the boldest and most resolute. The lack of salt was one great evil. A form of goitre, or swelled throat, was prevalent from this cause, particularly among the children. For the use of a horse to go to Portsmouth and return with two bushels of salt, one bushel was frequently paid. The nearest grist-mill, at Haverhill, was fifty miles away. Grists were carried on horseback, or on "cars'' made of two poles fastened together; the horse or ox being attached to one end as to a pair of thills, the other, bearing the burden, dragging on the ground. Had it not been for the game and fish, which were abundant, many must have starved. Trout weighing seven pounds were not uncommonly found in Israel's river; moose could be killed at almost any time, and the meat preserved by drying or smoking; bear were equally as plenty. After corn and wheat were raised, much of it was pounded in large wooden mortars, and cooked and eaten.

The first white woman of the town was Nancy, whose story has been told in every book published concerning the White Mountains. Her fall name is said by some to be Nancy Livermore; but the weight of authority gives it as Nancy Barton. She came here as cook for Col. Whipple, and kept a boarding-house for the men who were clearing land for him. She was a hard-working woman, and by her toil in this wild country, had accumulated some money, which, in the fall of 1788, she entrusted to an employe of Col. Whipple, with the intention of going with him to Portsmouth with the Colonel's next party, and settling down there to the enjoyment of married life. This did not meet the Colonel's wishes, for he did not desire to lose his competent cook, and he arranged with her treacherous lover to start during her temporary absence at Lancaster. She learned this, by some means, the day of their departure, at once walked to Jefferson, tied up a small bundle of clothing, and set out to overtake them at their first stopping place, the "Notch," thirty miles distant through an unbroken wilderness. She travelled all night through the freshly fallen snow, reached the camp soon after they had left, tried in vain to re-kindle the fire, and then hastened on after them through the "Notch" and wild valley of the Saco. For several hours she continued her course, fording and re-fording the icy river. Exhausted nature at last gave way, and she was found, frozen to death, a few hours afterwards, by a party who came after her from Col. Whipple's farm. Nancy's bridge and Nancy's rock in Bartlett both claim the melancholy honor of being the place where she expired.

Deborah Vicker. — The second woman was Deborah Vicker, who came from Portsmouth, and succeeded Nancy as cook for Col. Whipple. She lived here eighteen months before she saw a white woman. She brought with her the first Bible in the town, for which she paid ten weeks' work, at fifty cents a week. Her strong mind, energetic will, and remarkable physical endurance gave her immense influence among the Indians and settlers of a broad extent of territory. Tradition tells us that she made the first maple sugar of the settlement, in what is now John A. Hicks's sugar orchard. Col. Whipple paid her over a year's wages in depreciated Continental currency which he knew to be nearly valueless. When she learned of the character of the pay, she quietly waited until the Colonel came again from Portsmouth, when she remonstrated with him in such a forcible manner that he gave her a choice of any unsold fifty acres in the town, in addition to what she had been paid. She chose the lower half of lot No. 10, range 6. In the deed made by Col. Whipple, December 10, 1797, the consideration is given as "one dollar duly and truly in hand paid before the delivery hereof, and the love I bear to the said Deborah Vicker." She at once employed Benjamin Hicks to fell some trees and begin a clearing. Returning to Portsmouth in a few months, she married Richard Stalbird, and the next spring came to Jefferson. Mr. Stalbird thought this land too rocky, and exchanged it with Col. Whipple for the upper half of the lot. Here Mr. and Mrs. Stalbird settled and made their life residence. In later years she added to her natural great skill in nursing a knowledge of Indian remedies, and travelled, an angel of mercy, through northern New Hampshire, braving all kinds of dangers to relieve suffering, and was welcomed everywhere as "Granny Stalbird."

The first communication with Lancaster was by a bridle-path, without bridges, along Israel's river. The first path from the Notch came over the hill back of the Elephant's Head. Col. Whipple did a great labor on this. The first cows brought to town came by this path. The first barrel of rum in the settlement came on a car along this route, and was brought by Samuel Marden.

Adino N. Brackett wrote this description of Jefferson in 1821: —

"The turnpike road, leading from Lancaster to Portland, runs through Jefferson; and a road of considerable travel, which passes by the north end of the White Mountains, branches off from the turnpike in this town. The easterly side runs up high on Mount Pliny, which lies mostly in this town. Along the southwesterly and westerly side of this mountain lie a number of excellent and beautiful farms, which command a most delightful view of the White Mountains.

"Israel's river runs through Jefferson from southeast to northwest. It receives a considerable southern branch a little southward of the seat formerly owned by Col. Joseph Whipple, and now by Daniel Austin. Esq. Here the river forms an extensive and beautiful meadow. This lies directly in front of the house, and, during the spring and summer months, is clothed in the richest vegetable green. The meadow is perfectly level, which might fatigue the eye, were it not occasionally caught by a majestic spreading elm, which the taste of the owner has suffered to occupy the spot where it has stood rooted for ages. In addition to these, the fine farms before mentioned lie directly before you at a short distance beyond the meadow, between which, and the farms at the base of Mount Pliny, stretches a zone of fine forest trees; and, to complete the scenery, a little to the right appear the lofty domes of Mount Washington, Mount Jefferson, and Mount Adams. The beauty, the variety, and the grandeur of the objects which are here presented, render it one of the most delightful spots, during a clear summer's day, which is anywhere to be found in actual existence, and the imagination can hardly create a finer scene. But when the clouds begin to roll over the mountains in dreadful haste, all is at once changed; what before was beautiful now becomes terrible; the clouds, broken by the violence of the wind, cover, in part, the mountains' heads, or roll down and envelope the plains in darkness. If the eye breaks the gloom, the mountain resembles a gigantic maniac ready to seize the affrighted inhabitants.

"The land in the westerly part of the town is too wet for cultivation. The high land is covered with a growth of hard wood, of which the sugar maple forms a considerable part. The lowland is covered with spruce, fir, and larch. There are a few pines in the town, but not enough for the use of the inhabitants. There is no saw or grist mill in Jefferson, nor any machinery carried by water. About a year ago (1820) a fine set of mills, which were erected by Col. Whipple at a great expense, were burned down. Israel's river furnishes water and sites sufficient for any number of mills. Jefferson has no settled minister, but it is believed a regular Baptist church exists there. It has an handsome and convenient school-house."

Boundaries and Population. — Jefferson is bounded north by Lancaster and Kilkenny, east by Randolph, south by the White Mountain region and Carroll, west by Whitefield. The population in 1810 was 197; in 1820, 252; in 1885, 965. December 7, 1812, all the inhabitable portion of Kilkenny was annexed to Jefferson, and it now forms the east and southeastern part of the town. The total valuation of the town in March, 1887, was $288,972; the number of polls, 318; number of horses, 394; number of cattle, 988; number of sheep, 661.

CHAPTER XXXIV.

Civil List — Representatives, Town Clerks, Selectmen, Supervisors.

REPRESENTATIVES. — -Immediately after the annual town meeting, that day when the citizens of each little republic met to choose their servants for "the year ensuing," came the great day of the year, the district meeting, at which the ambitious would-be-representative was elected to go to Concord or — to stay at home. Few people of the present day realize with what vim and energy a campaign of this kind was conducted. Food was free, and "refreshment" flowed. The "District" was composed of Lancaster, Jefferson, Bretton Woods and Nash and Sawyer's Location. Of course Lancaster was the larger town, and in the words of the immortal Sampson, "What in - do we want of Giffersin?" The records show that at a meeting held in Jefferson in 1801, Richard C. Everett was elected representative; in 1803, 1807, 1809, 1811, William Lovejoy; in 1813, 1815, 1817, A. N. Brackett.

In 1809 Samuel Plaisted, of Jefferson, had forty-six votes for representative, but it does not appear that he was elected until 1820. The district now was composed of Jefferson, Durand (called Randolph a few years later), Shelburne, Shelburne Addition (Gorham), Bretton Woods, and Nash and Sawyer's Location. This year, 1820, Samuel Plaisted was elected. In 1821 and 1823, Frederick Ingalls was chosen. In 1828 and 1830, William Chamberlain was chosen. Mr. Chamberlain was one of the first settlers, and evidently a prominent man in the town. In 1832, Clovis Lowe was chosen; 1834, Daniel Pinkham; 1836, Robert Tuttle; 1838, David Legro; 1840, Robert Tuttle; 1841, Justus Low; 1843, Joseph Meserve; 1845, James G. Summers; 1847, Edward Parsons. In 1850 Jefferson had 161 voters, and was entitled to send a representative alone, and elected Benjamin H. Plaisted. He was a son of Samuel Plaisted, who was representative in 1820. B. H. Plaisted was also representative in 1851 and in 1852. In 1853-54, Moses Woodward; 1855, B. H. Plaisted; 1856-57, Nathan R. Perkins; 1858-59, Benjamin Kenison; 1860-61, Charles L. Plaisted; 1862-63, Nathan R. Perkins; 1864-65, C. L. Plaisted; 1866, N. R. Perkins; 1867-68, Charles Hight; 1869, C. L. Plaisted; 1870-71, Benjamin F. Howard; 1872-73, William Gray; 1874-75, Ezra B. Rogers: 1876-77, John A. Hicks; 1878-79-80, Lewis J. Palmer; 1881-82, Abner Davis; 1883-84, William Crawshaw; 1885-86, Manasseh Perkins; 1887, Benjamin Garland.

Town Clerks. — 1798, Samuel Plaisted; 1799, Reuben Haywood; 1800-01-02-03-04-05-06, James Hight; 1807-08, Eleazer Dennison; 1809-10-11-12, John Marden; 1813-14, Samuel Plaisted, Jr.; 1815-16-17, William Plaisted; 1818, Josiah Hight; 1819, William Plaisted; 1820-21-22-23, Benjamin Hicks, Jr.; 1824-25-26, Timothy Faulkner; 1827-28-29-30, Benjamin Hicks, Jr.; 1831, Hubbard Holmes; 1832-33-34-35-36-37-38, Benjamin Hicks, Jr.; 1839-40, Aaron M. Pottle; 1841, Benjamin Hicks, Jr.; 1842-43-44-45-46-47-48, Edward Parsons; 1849, Francis W. Town was chosen town clerk, held the office part of the year and probably moved away. Moses Woodward took his place; 1850, Edward Parsons; 1851, Lucius M. Rosebrook; 1852, J. P. Plaisted; 1853-54-55-56-57-58-59, Charles L. Plaisted; 1860-61, James H. Goodall; 1862-63-64-65-66-67-68-69-70-71-72, C. L. Plaisted; 1873-74-75-76-77-78-79-80-81-82-83-84-85-86-87, John A. Hicks.

Selectmen. — 1798, Benning Simes, James Hight, Samuel Plaisted; 1799, John Marden, James Rider, William Hewes; 1800, Samuel Plaisted, Eleazer Dennison, Benjamin Hicks; 1801, John Marden, James Rider, William Hewes; 1802, Samuel Plaisted, Timothy Holmes, Asa Grosvenor; 1803, James Rider, Samuel Plaisted, Benning Simes; 1804, Timothy Holmes, Thomas Marden, Samuel Plaisted; 1805, Thomas Marden, William Summers, Thomas Hart; 1806, Benning Simes (Eliakim Hartford, a young man, was chosen first selectman, but not being a "freeholder," the vote was recalled and Benning Simes chosen in his place), Samuel Plaisted, Samuel Hart; 1807, John Ingerson, Thomas Maiden, Benning Simes; 1808, Samuel Plaisted, Eleazer Dennison, Lazerus Holmes; 1809, Benning Simes, Thomas Marden, William Chamberlain; 1810, James Rider, William Summers, Benning Simes; 1811, John Marden, James Rider, Samuel Plaisted; 1812, Samuel Plaisted, John Marden, James Rider; 1813, Samuel Plaisted, Richard Perkins, Samuel Plaisted, Jr.; 1814, Benjamin Simes, Samuel Plaisted, William Plaisted; 1815, Levi Seavey, John Ingerson, Joshua Hart; 1816, James Rider, William Chamberlain, Samuel Plaisted; 1817, Samuel Plaisted, James Rider, William Chamberlain; 1818, James Hight, Jared Barker, George W. Simes; 1819, Samuel Plaisted, William Chamberlain, James Rider; 1820, William Chamberlain, Samuel Plaisted, Benjamin Hicks, Jr.; 1821, Samuel Plaisted, Benjamin Hicks, Jr., Israel Hight; 1822, George P. Plaisted, Timothy Faulkner, Benjamin Hicks, Jr.; 1823, Timothy Faulkner, Richard Perkins, Timothy Estes; 1824, G. P. Plaisted, William Chamberlain, Timothy Estes; 1825, Richard Perkins, Jr., Timothy Faulkner, Timothy Estes; 1826, Richard Perkins, Timothy Estes, Timothy Faulkner; 1827, Luke Woodward, Timothy Faulkner, G. P. Plaisted; 1828, William Chamberlain, William Dennison, William Summers; 1829, G. P. Plaisted, Peter Stillings, Timothy Estes; 1830, William Dennison, John J. Blaisdell, David Chamberlain; 1831, William Dennison, Clovis Lowe, Ezekiel Drew; 1832, John J. Blaisdell, David Chamberlain, William Chamberlain; 1833, John J. Blaisdell, David Chamberlain, William Plaisted; 1834, William Chamberlain, John J. Blaisdell, Robert Tuttle; 1835, William Chamberlain, Robert Tuttle, David Chamberlain; 1836, Robert Tuttle, William Chamberlain, Israel Hight; 1837, Robert Tuttle, Israel Hight, James G. Summers; 1838, David Legro, James G. Summers, Nicholas Tuttle; 1839. David Legro, Nicholas Tuttle, Timothy Estes; 1840, Benjamin Reed, William Chamberlain, David Legro; 1841, Benjamin Reed, William Chamberlain, J. H. Perkins; 1842, Benjamin Reed, William Summers, Charles Plaisted; 1843, Elias Hall, Joshua Plaisted, Benjamin Hicks, Jr.; 1844, Elias Hall, Nicholas Tuttle, Charles Plaisted; 1845, Nicholas Tuttle, B. H. Plaisted, Francis W. Town; 1846, Benjamin Reed, Moses Woodward, B. H. Plaisted; 1847, B. H. Plaisted, James G. Summers, Nicholas Tuttle; 1848, Edward Parsons, Lewis J. Palmer, Nicholas Tuttle; 1849, B. H. Plaisted Anson Stillings, Jeremiah Ricker; 1850, B. H. Plaisted, Charles Hight, Charles Hutchinson; 1851, Charles Hutchinson, B. H. Plaisted, Charles Hight; 1852, B. H. Plaisted, Charles Hight, Nicholas Tuttle; 1853, B. H. Plaisted, Joseph T. Pinkham, I. H Perkins; 1854, B. H. Plaisted, Charles Hight, Dan Eastman; 1855, Presbury West, Jr., Lewis J. Palmer, Edward Parsons; 1856, B. H. Plaisted, Charles Hight, Anson F. Wesson; 1857, B. H. Plaisted, Anson F. Wesson, John Goodall; 1858, Emmons S. Mclntire, John Goodall, William Gray; 1859, John Goodall, William Gray, Amasa Holmes; 1860, Charles Hight, Amasa Holmes, Levi Stalbird; 1861, Charles Hight, Levi Stalbird, James F. D. Rosebrook; 1862, Charles Hight. J. F. D. Rosebrook, Sylvester P. Martin; 1863, Charles Hight, John Goodall, J. F. D. Rosebrook; 1864, Charles Hight, Nathan R. Perkins, John P. Plaisted; 1865, Charles Hight, John Goodall, Moses Roberts; 1866, Nicholas Tuttle, John Crawshaw, Benjamin Tuttle; 1867, John Crawshaw, Benjamin Tuttle, John A. Hicks; 1868, C. L. Plaisted, John A. Hicks, Nathan R. Perkins; 1869, C. L. Plaisted, E. B. Rogers, Benjamin Tuttle; 1870, C. L. Plaisted, Ezra B. Rogers. Benjamin Tuttle; 1871, Ezra B. Rogers, Benjamin Tuttle, William E. Howe; 1872, Benjamin Tuttle, William E. Howe, John Crawshaw; 1873, Benjamin Tuttle, John Crawshaw, William E. Howe; 1874, John Crawshaw, Alonzo L. Berry. Charles Crawford; 1875, Benjamin Tuttle, Charles Crawford, James Hight; 1876, Charles Crawford, James Hight, William Crawshaw; 1877, Benjamin Tuttle; William Crawshaw, Ephraim James; 1878, William Crawshaw, Ephraim James, Alonzo L. Berry; 1879, Benjamin Tuttle, Ezra B. Rogers, George W. Crawford; 1880, Charles H. Burnham, Jared H. Plaisted, George W. Crawford; 1881, Ezra B. Rogers, Benjamin C. Garland, Manasseh Perkins; 1882, Charles H. Burnham, Nicholas Tuttle, 2d, Albert L. Martin; 1883, C. H. Burnham, Nicholas Tuttle, 2d, Albert L. Martin; 1884, C. H. Burnham, Manasseh Perkins. William F. Jewett; 1885, William F. Jewett, William J. Chamberlain, Charles K. Gile; 1886, William J. Chamberlain, C. K. Gile, John W. Crawshaw; 1887, William J. Chamberlain, Mark Rines, Edmund J. Mclntire.

Supervisors. — 1880, Nathan R. Perkins, Jacob Davis, William Crawshaw; 1882, Jacob Davis, Abner Davis, Lewis H. Palmer; 1884, Abner Davis, Jacob Davis, Lewis H. Palmer; 1886, Richard B. Eastman, Ezra B. Rogers, John B. Mclntire.

CHAPTER XXXV.

Educational Interests — Action of the Town in Relation to Schools 1798-1827 — "Old North School-House" — School Officers — Superintending Committee — Board of Education.

EDUCATION. — We now come to the history of schools. At the first town meeting of which we have record, Tuesday, March 13, 1798, it was voted to raise nine pounds to pay for the town charter and necessary charges. It was also voted to raise thirty dollars in cash or wheat to support a school. March 12, 1799, it was voted to raise "twenty dollars to be laid out in schooling." There was no school-house, and, at an adjourned meeting held December 19, it was voted that the "school tax" be used to pay town charges. March 8, 1803, it was voted to build a school-house and a committee chosen. The meeting adjourned to March 21st, when ''the vote to build a school-house was reconsidered." March 11, 1806, it was again voted to build a school-house, but the vote was "recalled," and meeting adjourned. The sturdy friends of education were not discouraged by defeat. March 19, the adjourned meeting was "disolved," and April 5, 1806, the following "Petition" was presented to the selectmen: —

"State of New Hampshire, Coos, } ss.

"The subscribers, Freeholders, in Jefferson, County of Coos, do humbly request you, the Selectmen of the town of Jefferson, Benjamin Simes, Samuel Hart, and Samuel Plaisted, to call a Town Meeting for the following purposes:

"1st. To choose a moderator to govern said meeting.

"2d. To see if the town will allow the selectmen's bill for building a bridge over Israel's river, and raise money to discharge the same.

"3d. To see if the town will raise money to maintain a school.

"4th. To see if the town will vote to build one or more school-houses, and to agree in what manner they shall be built.

"Benjamin Hicks, Lazeras Holmes, James Hight, John Garland, John Maiden, Samuel Marden, Thomas Marden, William Summers, John Wentworth, Nick Stillings, Joshua Hart."

A meeting was called and it was voted to build a school house, 24x18, the present year, and that James Hight and James Rider should be a committee to "conclude where it should be built." May 16, 1806, it was voted that John Marden and Samuel Hart "be a committee to receive material from the town to build a school-house and have it built by the last of November." It appears that the committee did not agree upon a location, and the next March it was voted to build two houses, and on the 9th of April, 1807, Benniug Simes, Samuel Plaisted and Eleazer Dennison were chosen a committee to divide the town into two districts. March 8, 1808, a vote to raise money to build a school-house was taken and lost. March 14, 1809, it was voted that the "town make a tax to the amount of two hundred dollars for building school-houses."

August 3, 1809, a regular school system for the town was inaugurated. John Marden was chosen clerk for the North District, and Thomas Marden, William Chamberlain and Joshua Hart, committee. Samuel Plaisted was chosen clerk for the South District, and George Holmes, William Summers and Nicholas Stillings, committee. In 1812 a vote to raise money to finish the school-houses was taken and lost. In 1813 there was an article in the warrant "to see if the town will accept the committee's account of what they have expended on the school-house, and whether the town will accept the school-house," and the meeting adjourned without taking any action on the article.

The first record we find of the use of the school-house was the second Tuesday of March, 1816. The town meetings heretofore had been held in private dwellings, Hight, Holmes, and Plaisted being mentioned. This year the meeting was warned and held at the "North school-house in said town," at which Nicholas Stillings, John Marden and William Plaisted were chosen school committee. In 1819 we find a vote to allow the east part of the town a part of the school money, and also to allow the schoolmaster two dollars for his expenses home. In 1827 the town was divided into four districts, and the next year another district was added, and the limits and bounds of each district defined. It was also voted that each district should elect its own officers. In 1829 it was voted that the "literary fund" be divided among the school districts, and that each district should have the control of its own money.

This year there were seventy votes cast. Benjamin Pierce for governor had fifty-six and John Bell fourteen. The town tax was $73; county tax, $31; state tax, $55; and school tax, $124. There probably had been more or less schooling up to this time. The people had but little money and had to work hard and bear many privations; but a few determined, progressive men made their influence felt, and to-day their descendants are an honor to the town. A part of the "Old North Schoolhouse" still stands. After many years' service as school-house, church and public hall, it makes a good shop for a busy mechanic. Its old walls are almost sacred. Generations have come and gone. Here a governor of Maine learned his A B Cs. Here old Master Grout wielded the rod, and old men mention his name with respect. Here the old itinerant, after a weary horseback ride of many miles, told of peace and good will. Here the voters came and chose their town officers, and helped elect the governor and president, and from here they sometimes sadly bore their dead to rest. The prayer meeting and the singing school were convened within its walls, and young men whispered the old, old story, and went out, and lived, and loved, and died, and others came, and are hurrying along, in the same procession, down and out, perhaps, to a better life beyond.

School Officers. — The first superintending school committee of which we find record was March 25, 1828, and their names were John J. Blaisdell, Benjamin Hicks, Jr., and David Chamberlain. After this, as the years pass along, we find the names of Aaron M. Pottle, B. H. Plaisted, Francis M. Town, Nicholas Tuttle, Benjamin Read, Abraham Bedell, Charles Hight and Elisha Bedell. In 1855 it was voted to have but one man, and Marshall C. Dexter was chosen for one year. Then we find L. B. Moulton, Presbury West, 3d, Nathan R. Perkins (for some years), then L. B. Moulton, James M. Hartwell, Truman Carter and William Crawshaw. Haven Palmer was committee two years, and William Crawshaw again in 1868 and '69. In 1870 Abner Davis was chosen and held the office two years. In 1873 Davis was elected again and held the office some years, after which Richard B. Eastman and L. H. Palmer were chosen. Abner Davis was the last superintending committee chosen under the old district system.

Wealth and population have increased. We now have eight schoolhouses and one good graded school. Good school-houses are taking the places of the old ones, and capable teachers are fitting the children for the active duties of life. The children are quick to learn, and many of them leave the school-room as students, only to return in a short time as efficient teachers. The people are now, not only voting for good school-houses, but are voting money for books, globes and good teachers. The board of education now is Abner Davis, John M. Morse and George E. Hutchins.

CHAPTER XXXVI.

Ecclesiastical History — First Sermon — Baptist Church — Names of Early Members — Pastors — Free Will Baptist Church — Members— Pastors — Elder Morse — Methodism — Progress — Leaders — Class — Members — Church Organized — Pastors — Sabbath School.

FIRST Sermon. — In Dr. Jeremy Belknap's account of his tour to the White Mountains in the summer of 1784, we find that the first sermon preached in Jefferson was by Dr. Belknap. His text was from 1 Corinthians, 6: 19, 20. Rev. Daniel Little, then pastor of the church in Kennebunk, Maine, baptized eight children; Rev. Manasseh Cutler, of Ipswich, Mass., made the concluding prayer. Thirty-eight people of the place were present. This religious service was held in Colonel Whipple's barn, Tuesday afternoon, July 26, during a thunder shower.

Churches in Jefferson. — As soon as arrangements had been made for roads and schools, the people in town-meeting voted to raise eighty dollars "for the support of the gospel." It does not appear that there was much sectarian feeling at this time, though it is probable that the Baptists were in the majority when the town was organized. Isaac N. Hobart came here from Maine, and labored sometime, and, about the year 1822, a Baptist church was established. Among the members were Mr. Plaisted and wife, William Chamberlain and wife, Absalom Forbes, and Nathaniel Moulton. Rev. Mr. McGregor was here at one time, and Philip, Chamberlain, from Hebron, Me., was a successful minister. About 1835, under Chamberlain's pastorate, a Baptist church was built, and the membership largely increased. George W. Kenny and Abram Bedell were ministers of note. Rev. Elisha Bedell was also a successful pastor, and continued in active service some time. George Butler was also a minister here. After Abram Bedell came Leonard Kingsbury, followed by David Hawly and Charles Perkins. Then came Henry Campbell and Elder Woodruff. During Woodruff's pastorate the church building was remodelled, enlarged, a good bell added, and an organ bought, mainly at the expense of Nathaniel Moulton, who had been a licensed local preacher for many years. After Woodruff came Rev. Mr. Atkinson, then Elders Dalton, Wheeler, David Gage, Rankin, Crafts and Brooks.

Free Will Baptist Church. — About 1824 a Free Will Baptist church was organized at East Jefferson, and was in the care of Elder John Morse, of Randolph. This was in active work from 1821 until 1837, when Elder Morse moved from Randolph to Gorham. Among the members of this church were Benjamin Estes and wife, Josiah Hall, Joseph Hall, Phebe Hall, Thomas Whittam, Jonah Hite, Rebecca Huntley, Polly Hite, Willard Huntley and Ketury Estes. Benjamin Estes was probably "deacon." The Quarterly meeting at which the matter of organizing the church was considered, was holden at Jackson, and John Morse and Edward Green were the delegates who attended. The members of the council to act on the matter were Elder Joshua Quimby, of Lisbon, Elder Dudley Pettengil, from Sandwich, and Deacon Moses Aldrich, of Lisbon.

Elder Morse was a citizen of Jefferson, and at the age of more than ninety-two years was well and active. For more than seventy years he was an energetic laborer among the hills and valleys of old Coos, and the record of his life would make a book of interest. This worthy man died in 1887.

Methodism. — Here, as in other places, the pioneers of Methodism were early at work. In 1820 John Smith, from Vermont, preached once in four weeks. Other circuit ministers came from time to time. Wilbur Latham lived for a while on the Tuttle place where the "Grand View" House now stands. He preached the funeral sermon of Eliakim Hartford, who was drowned May 8, 1832. Latham and Chamberlain preached in the "Old North School-house" and each had his friends and followers. Near the Hartford grave, in a secluded shady nook, rest the remains of a sister who died in 1819, and close by, lovingly lean toward each other, the grave stones of Hon. Samuel Plaisted and wife. A son of Mr. Plaisted, too, rests here, who, a mossy slab tells us, was drowned in Connecticut river. We find but little record from the time Latham was here until 1856, at which time a Methodist class was connected with the Lancaster station, William D. Cass, presiding elder, and J. Hooper in charge. The "leader" of this class was Henry W. Marden, and the members were Harriet E. Marden, T. A. Hall, Mary A. Hall, Edward Parsons, Maria D. Parsons, Joshua Plaisted, Eleanor Plaisted, Sarah Woodward, Rebecca Drew, Louisa Drew, Lucy P. Pinkham, Arvilla Folsom, Clarissa Holmes, Lydia Ann Plaisted, Reuben Plaisted, Vienna Tuttle, E. S. Mclntire, Mahitable Mclntire, Mary A. Bedell, Caroline D. Garland, Abial Bedell, and Mercy Chamberlain.

About 1860 a Methodist church was organized, with Rev. Truman Carter, preacher in charge. Warren Applebee was here three years; and J. H. Knott was here in 1868 and 1869, during which time a church was built at a cost of about four thousand dollars. A parsonage, at a cost of about fifteen hundred, had already been built.

In 1870 William E. Bennett came and was here two years; I. J. Tibbetts, 1872; William E. Tansom, 1873; Lovejoy, 1874; J. H. Brown, 1875-76-77; James Crowley, 1878-79-80; C. M. Dinsmore, 1881-82-83; Samuel J. Robinson, 1884-85; and James Crowley again in 1886-87, who now is the preacher in charge.

The church has been extensively repaired this season, and there are over fifty members. Connected with the church is an interesting Sabbath-school and a library of several hundred volumes.

CHAPTER XXXVII.

Miscellaneous — Cherry Mountain Slide — Jefferson Meadows — Postoffices — Lumber — Merchants — Physician — Summer Hotels and Boarding Houses — Benjamin Hicks — Benjamin H. Plaisted — Daniel Austin — A good story.

THE Slide. — Cherry mountain, rising 3,219 feet in air and beautifully wooded to the summit, with the bald spur known as "Owl's Head" as its northern limit, is a striking feature of the landscape in the vicinity of Jefferson. Nowhere else can the vast arc of circling peaks comprising the Pilot, Presidential and Franconia ranges be seen in such grandeur of array. From its summit the winding valley of Israel's river with its noble enclosing hills, the Androscoggin with its clean banks and many islands, can be traced till lost in the dim horizon. The slope of the mountain from the spur of Owl's Head is steep and heavily wooded. Following an irregular course down the mountain side at this point flows a little brook, one of the feeders of Cherry pond — an attractive sheet of water in the plain below. The surface of the ascent while precipitous is quite regular and unbroken till the summit is approached. Just where the wood and hillside merge into the fertile and level meadow begins the farm of John Boudreau, whose dwelling house stands on the brow of the shallow ravine through which the streamlet runs. Two minutes' walk below in a direct line was the home of Oscar Stanley, one of the worthy farmers of Jefferson. By Stanley's house ran the Cherry mountain road. A lofty and solid stone wall girds the road on either side, while below the highway was a grass field terminating in a thin patch of woodland sixty rods away. Five miles to eastward lies Whitefield, and across the valley on the opposite slope is Jefferson.

Cherry Mountain Land Slide occurred July 10, 1885, about six o'clock in the morning. There had been heavy rains the week previous, and especially the night before; the mountain rill was far beyond its usual size, and had become an angry torrent. Suddenly there was a loud crash, followed by a roaring, rushing sound as of many waters, and it seemed to Oscar Stanley, and his men, who were at work with him, as if the mountains were coming down. They sprang to a place of safety, when immediately a wave of solid earth surmounted by trees and rocks came surging down the green fields. Mr. Stanley's house, which was in process of erection, was entirely demolished and swept away in a moment. On and on this tumultuous mass of irresistible motion went for two miles from the starting point, when its power was lessened by the level ground below, where it spread over twenty acres. One million tons of earth and stone were hurled into the valley, and one hundred thousand feet of timber was strewn over the plain; huge bowlders were uplifted from their foundations, and came crashing into each other with a terrible velocity. This slide was from fifty to 100 feet in depth, and from 100 to 800 feet in width. The only loss of life was that of Donald Walker, who died of his injuries. The slide began close to the summit, descending in a straight line till it struck the water-course, which it followed truly to the end. A huge scar on the mountain side marks the track with amazing distinctness.

Jefferson Meadows, a small village built up by, and belonging to, Browns' Lumber Co., contains from fifteen to twenty houses; is a station on the Whitefield & Jefferson railroad. Edward Ray is station agent and cashier of the railroad. Manasseh Perkins has been express agent and conductor on the railroad from its opening in 1879.

Postoffices. — There are three postoffices: Jefferson, Richard B. Eastman, postmaster; Jefferson Highlands, George W. Crawford, postmaster; Meadows, Edward Ray, postmaster.

Lumber. — Besides Browns' Lumber Co., G. W. & N. W. Libbey, Rims & Simpson, and Jewett & Son are engaged in the production of lumber.

Merchants. — The firm of Bowker & Co. (Browns' Lumber Co.) conducts a large establishment at Jefferson Meadows. J. B. Mclntire, at Jefferson Hill, has a favorable reputation and carries a good stock of goods. E. E. Plaisted conducts another long established house.

Physician. — C. H. Burnham, M. D., at Jefferson Hill. He has one of the most attractive and artistic residences in this region.

Summer Hotels and Boarding Houses. — The chief industry of the town outside of the lumber business is the conducting of houses for the accommodation of summer visitors. Hundreds come annually to visit this charming resort where they can hold communion with Nature in one of its most sublime abodes, and breathe the exhilarating air, which stimulates like wine. Jefferson Hill is one long line of summer hotels and boarding houses, and we state a fact when we say that nowhere can be found pleasanter resting places, more satisfactory tables, or more genial entertainers. Prices and accommodations can be found suited to all purses. We affix a list of the more prominent ones with the number they can accommodate.

Waumbek Hotel - Waumbek Hotel Co - 250
Plaisted House - P. C. Plaisted - 125
Starr King House - C. K. Gile - 80
Maple House - Mrs. M. H. Bowles - 50
Stalbird House - Levi Stalbird - 25
Sunnyside House - Charles Mclntire - 25
Cold Spring House - W. H. Crawford - 30
Jefferson Hill House - E. E. Bedel & Co - 100
Grand View House - Mrs. Benjamin Tuttle - 50
Woodward Cottage - Mrs. C. A. Woodward - 20
Hillside Farmhouse - N. M. Davenport - 30
Mount Adams House - W. Crawshaw - 60
Crawford House - E. A. Crawford - 50
Pliny Range House - George W. Crawford & Son - 30
Highland House - G. A. & G. L. Pottle - 60
Willow Cottage - J. A. Hicks - 10
Union House - Hight Brothers - 30
Cloverdale Cottage - John Palmer - 20
Waumbek Cottage - Oscar Stanley - 25

Benjamin Hicks, of Lee, came here early. When but sixteen he was a soldier in the Continental army of the Revolution, so his birth must have been in 1760 or '61. His son, David Hicks, was born in Jefferson August 17, 1796. He bought the 100 acre lot, on which he has since lived, from Samuel Plaisted in 1818, married Eliza, daughter of John and Betsey (Hight) Garland, December 25, 1824. Their children were Horace D., Elizabeth (Mrs. N. R. Perkins), Alice J. (Mrs. James Tate), John A., Harriet T. and Joseph G. In connection with farming he has done much in nice wood-work; formerly made spinning wheels, clock reels, etc. Democratic in politics, he has always been a quiet, law-abiding citizen, very fond of his rod and gun and of trapping. He is a Calvinistic Baptist and was called "deacon."

Benjamin Hanking Plaisted was born May 16, 1808, at Jefferson Meadows, on the Colonel Whipple place. His hotel experience began in a small wayside inn on Jefferson Hill; and, at the suggestion of Rev. Starr King, he erected the original Waumbek House, which he sold, and, about 1872, built the popular Plaisted House. He was a landlord who entertained with old-time hospitality and generosity. Mr. Plaisted was also conversant with town affairs, represented Jefferson several terms in the state legislature, and was a member of the first board of railroad commissioners chosen by the state of New Hampshire. He died December 16, 1881, and was buried with Masonic honors. His wife, Mrs. Rebecca Plaisted, his sons, Charles and Philip C, and three daughters survived him.

Daniel Austin, who purchased the Col. Whipple place, was originally from Massachusetts, a refined gentleman and a Unitarian clergyman. Farm life in these wild regions did neither agree with his nature nor his finances, for he lost his property, returned to Massachusetts, and there married a very wealthy lady which brought him comfort in his latter days. When he left Jefferson he said he would not return until he came with a fine pair of horses of his own. This he did some years later.

A Good Story. — Hon. A. S. Batchellor, of Littleton, relates the story of a good natured controversy he once heard on the White Mountain Express between Plymouth and Littleton. The parties were Northern New Hampshire lawyers, politicians and business men. "Whether Jefferson village had a higher altitude than Bethlehem Street," was the question. Among the Clouds and the Echo were quoted. The testimony of members of the factions, who had stood in one village and looked down into the other, were taken, and the passengers who listened to the argument and evidence soon got merry, and then uproarious. "Nate" Perkins led the Jefferson party, and John G. Sinclair cited a passage in the "organ of the summit," which summarized Bethlehem as the "ultima thule" of the mountain region. "Nate" called upon Maj. Drew, his lawyer backer, to translate it, and declared in triumph when the "English" of it came, that it must be correct, for that was always his idea of the place. ""Ultima thule" said the barrister, "means 'bottomless pit.'" Thus the bantering progressed till Sinclair's muse came to the rescue of Bethlehem, and. as the conductor called "change for Bethlehem," we got the following lines, impromptu, from the genial John, and then a truce was called: —

The Bethlehemites, as high as kites,
Look down the run Inwards Jefferson,
Whose people there, in sheer despair,
'Neath shadow of our mountains,
Sit on logs and fish for frogs,
In bog bound muddy fountains.
With hay disease, oh! hear them sneeze,
The poor unhappy creatures!
While clouds of flies around them rise,
And armies of mosquitoes.

But still the level at "Nate's" house in Jefferson pays no attention to poetical effusions, and. by unerring and invincible logic, shows the superior altitude of Jefferson.

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.

HON. NATHAN RANDALL PERKINS.

In 1638, scarcely two decades after the landing of the Pilgrims on Massachusetts' shores, a company of adventurous pioneers located upon the fertile lands of what is now Hampton, N. H. They were mostly of English descent, and among them was Abraham Perkins, of the Plymouth colony, probably the first of the family to settle in this state, although John Perkins, born in 1590, at Nervent, Gloucester county, England, who came in the "Lion" to Boston, February, 1631, with Roger Williams, was the first emigrant. Abraham Perkins is described as being superior in point of education to the most of his contemporaries, and was often employed as an appraiser of estates. In 1648 he built the mill in Hampton known as Perkins's mill. He died in 1683. The name of Perkins appears on the roll of Revolutionary soldiers, and among the early representatives of Hampton. John Perkins, born about the middle of the eighteenth century, who married a Keniston, had a son, David K., who was born in New Durham in 1797, and married Margaret Runnels, a daughter of __ Runnels, and his wife Margaret Randall. She was a daughter of Elder Benjamin Randall, "the patriarch of the Free Will Baptist denomination." "Elder Randall was a man of medium size, erect and gentlemanly in appearance. His features were sharp, his eyes of a hazel color, and the general expression of his countenance grave and dignified. His gestures were few, and as a speaker he was calm, argumentative and very impressive. He was a man of deep piety and fervent spirit. His perception was great and his memory strong. He had a good business education for the times. He studied the works of men, but was emphatically a man of one book, and that the Bible." The Runnels family traces its descent from Ayrshire, Scotland. John Runnels settled in Dover, in 1718; his son, Abraham, is spoken of as a brave Scotch patriot; he, with five of his sons, served in the Revolution. To David K. and Margaret (Runnels) Perkins were born nine children: Nathaniel, Samuel R., Mary Ann (Mrs. James Eastman, deceased), Manasseh H., Nathan R., William Dana, Joan (Mrs. Moses Drew), David, and one who died in infancy. Mr. Perkins resided in New Durham and Middleton until 1829, when he removed to Whitefield and settled in the east part of the town, where he remained until 1839, when he located in Manchester, and worked at his trade of stone mason. He died December 4, 1862. Hon. Nathan Randall Perkins was born in Middleton, December 13, 1828. Descending from the sturdy Scotch family, Runnels, the strong Free Will Baptist, Elder Randall, and the colonist, Abraham Perkins, no wonder that in him are combined the traits of manly independence, with sound health of blood, and an incorruptible integrity.

Mr. Perkins has been an energetic worker all his life; when but a mere lad he labored on the farm, and, from the age of twelve, until he was seventeen years old, in the mills, and at stone work in Manchester, when he went to Lancaster, learned blacksmithing of L. M. Rosebrook, and supplemented his common school education with an attendance at Lancaster academy. He formed a strong friendship for Mr. Rosebrook, and worked for and with him for some years. In 1852 Mr. Rosebrook, who was mountain born, conceived the idea of building a house of entertainment on Mt. Washington, and Mr. Perkins, who had saved some money, agreed to join him in the enterprise. They began their laborious work on the first hotel on Mt. Washington in May, 1852. Its walls were of the immense granite blocks so thickly strewn upon that high eminence, and the timbers and the boards (which came from Jefferson) had to be conveyed on horseback up the steep mountain side from eight miles below. They soon took Joseph S. Hall as a partner, Mr. Perkins retaining one-fourth interest. The house was called the "Summit House," was 20x40 feet inside measurement, and, although not finished, was opened for guests in July, 1852. In 1853 Mr. Perkins was in personal charge of the Summit House during the season, and built a large addition, remaining on the mountain from the last of May until the middle of September. In February, 1854, he sold his interest, and, in the spring, purchased the farm where he now resides, which L. M. Rosebrook had owned. May 22, he married Elizabeth C., daughter of David and Eliza (Garland) Hicks. Their only child, Manasseh, was born October 28, 1855. (He has been conductor and express agent of the W. & J. R. R. since 1879. He represented Jefferson in the legislature of 1885-1886.) In connection with farming Mr. Perkins carried on blacksmithing. The sturdy blows of his hammer were heard early and late in the little shop opposite his house, and his industry and diligence were rewarded, each year increasing his prosperity. In 1860 he bought the Jefferson mill property, and rebuilt the saw and grist-mills on an enlarged and improved scale, erected a starch factory, and conducted these enterprises for twenty years with financial success. About 1868 Mr. Perkins obtained by purchase some three thousand acres of timber land of the estate of Canning Williams, and at once began to survey it. He had acquired civil engineering by his own study without an instructor, his natural tendency for mathematical science making this easy. From this time to the present he has done much in this field. In 1872 he was employed, to locate and lay out the Whitefield & Jefferson R. R., and has attended to all the civil engineering required by the main road and its lumber branches. The work has been accomplished in the best possible manner to facilitate the end designed, and many a graduate of polytechnic schools could find valuable lessons in curves and gradients along this line. The attention of Mr. Perkins was early attracted to the timber lands, and he dealt somewhat extensively in them. In 1872 he purchased three-fourths of Lowe and Burbank's grant (10,500 acres). Upon the organization of Browns' Lumber Company in 1874, Mr. Perkins became a member, and has since been in charge of its interests in Jefferson and the "woods." He was the second president of the company. He superintended the entire building of the railroad, laying out and putting up the camps, surveys the land, lets the contracts for getting out timber, etc., etc. The company has developed a large farm lying along both sides of the railroad from Whitefield to Randolph, and this is supervised by him in addition to his own home farm of 150 acres. He has this year (1887) cut for the company about 125 tons of hay, harvested from 1,000 to 1,200 bushels of potatoes, and 1,000 bushels of oats, and will add 100 more acres to the 450 already in pasture. He has just erected a new set of buildings on "Valley farm" near Randolph line.

A visit to their "camps" in winter, when nearly 200 men are engaged in cutting and hauling the logs to supply the great mills in Whitefield, is fraught with interest. The "camps" are clean, comfortable and capacious log-houses, fitted to accommodate from sixty to seventy-five men, while the best of provisions, cooked by experienced cooks who have served at leading hotels in summer, give an added zest to the appetites caused by active labor in the wintry air. The employes receive the best treatment; temperance is rigidly maintained, no liquor being allowed in the camps. The order and system of Mr. Perkins is discernible, and every thing moves like clock-work.

Mr. Perkins has been a standard bearer of Democracy for many years, and his influence is prominent in county and state affairs. He has held all important town offices; was county commissioner five years, during which time he was instrumental in building the large barn on the county farm, and personally brought about the introduction of steam heat into the county-house, and furnaces into the court-house. Notwithstanding these improvements, the county debt was reduced several thousand dollars. He has represented Jefferson five terms in the legislature; was a member of the constitutional convention of 1876, and one year each in the executive councils of Governors Straw and Weston. He aided in getting the state appropriation for opening the road up the Androscoggin from Dummer to Errol, and, with James W. Weeks and George R. Eaton, formed the committee which decided what amount each town should pay. (Their decision was never controverted). He has been a delegate to Democratic county, state, and other conventions for many successive years, and attended the national Democratic convention in 1868, as a substitute. He has been a member of North Star Lodge and Commandery for many years.

Nature has endowed Mr. Perkins with a magnificent physique and equally large and liberal ideas and heart. His presence is winning, attracting all who come within the sphere of his personality. He dispenses hospitality like a prince, keeps ''open house," and reminds one of the southern planter of ante helium days. His charities are wide and constant, and nothing more delights him than to make children happy by unexpected gifts. His love for Jefferson is as strong and steadfast as though its air was the first he breathed, and the full weight of his well-balanced character and influence is on the side of every public measure for the prosperity of the community. His religion is not that of creeds, but is exemplified in deeds which relieve the unfortunate and distressed, and by generous contributions to religious objects.

THOMAS STARR KING.

Thomas Starr King was the son of a Universalist clergyman of Charlestown, Mass. When he was but fifteen years of age, his father died, and Starr King was entirely without means, and with the burden of the household upon him. However, he was a manly youth of much promise, and his poverty touched the heart of Warren Sawyer, who was then president of the Mercantile Library Association, Boston, and hearing that King had a lecture on Goethe, he consulted E. P. Whipple and James T. Fields as to the inviting of young King to deliver this lecture before the association; to this proposition they heartily agreed, but the young man shrank from such an ordeal, and it was only after much encouragement that he consented. It is sufficient to say the lecture was a success, and Whipple, who took much interest in, and had great sympathy for, young aspirants for literary fame, took him by the hand and congratulated him. His example was followed by Fields and others, until the platform was thronged with the admiring auditors. This was the commencement of Whipple's lifelong friendship for King. Both Whipple and King were lovers of the White Mountains, and visited them in company, and "King's brilliant letters to the Boston Transcript which formed the basis of his 'White Hills' were the description of the mountains as seen through Whipple's eyes. Great were the story-telling seasons at the White Mountains when Fields, and King and Whipple were members of the tramping parties."

It was at the suggestion of Starr King that the original Waumbeck House in Jefferson was erected for the accommodation of summer travellers, and, to him more than any other is the public indebted to the knowledge of the vast magnificence of the White Mountains and their surroundings. Of Jefferson Hill he writes: "It may without exaggeration be called the ultima thule of grandeur in an artist's pilgrimage among the New Hampshire mountains, for at no other point can he see the White Hills themselves in such array and force."

Few souls in the world have the gift of portraying the glories of nature in language that will live forever. Starr King was one of this immortal few, and the joy and gladness they leave behind will never die, and the memory of the author of the "White Hills" will last as long as the mountains endure.

THADDEUS S. C. LOWE.

Prof. Thaddeus S. C. Lowe, now of Norristown, Pa., the distinguished inventor, aeronaut and scientist, was born August 20, 1832, at Jefferson, N. H., and is the son of Clovis and Alpha Greene Lowe, of that town. His mother was a daughter of Thomas Greene, of Berlin Falls, N. H., and on both sides the ancestry is of the early pilgrims who came from England in the seventeenth century. Mr. Lowe enjoyed only a common school education in early life, working on a farm between the age of ten and fourteen years. The only opportunity for attending school was about three months in the year in winter, walking two miles and often on snow shoes at that. During this period the best opportunity for study was in the evenings by the light of pine knots industriously gathered in early autumn while laying in the winter's supply of wood. Mr. Lowe's favorite studies were chemistry, natural philosophy and kindred subjects. In his fifteenth year he left his mountain home, walking one hundred miles to Portland, Maine, and from thence went by water to Boston, where he apprenticed himself out for three years to learn the trade of boot and shoe cutting. At the close of his apprenticeship he was enabled to earn money sufficient to admit of his pursuing his studies, selecting medicine as a specialty, and at the age of twenty-one he commenced the compounding and practice of medicine. Although very successful for his years, he so disliked the practice that instead of permanently establishing himself, he went on a lecturing tour of several years duration. Before this, however, he taught a class in chemistry for a short time. He lectured on scientific matters, mostly confined to interesting chemical experiments in which the various gases played an important part. In this he was eminently successful, pleasing large audiences and constantly gaining for himself valuable information.

In 1855 Mr. Lowe was married to Miss Leontine Augustine Grachon, of New York, who was born and educated in Paris, France. Very soon after, in 1857, he began the study of aeronautics, and made numerous aerial voyages in different parts of the country, his first being one from Ottawa, Canada, in 1858, in celebration of the laying of the first Atlantic cable. In 1859 he constructed the largest aerostat ever built. It was intended for voyages across the ocean, which he estimated could be made in less than three days by taking advantage of the ever-constant eastward current which he had discovered to always prevail in all the numerous voyages he had made previous to that time. This he did to, in some way, compensate for the temporary failure of the Atlantic cable, which was to endeavor to communicate more rapidly than by steamers, which in that day were quite slow compared with the present. This aerostat was 150 feet perpendicular diameter, by 104 feet transverse diameter, the upper portion being spherical. When fully inflated with hydrogen, its atmospheric displacement amounted to a lifting force of twenty-two and one half tons. It had for its outfit, besides a car with all the necessary scientific instruments, provisions, etc., a complete Francis metallic life-boat, schooner rigged, much larger than several that have successfully crossed the ocean since that time. The gas envelop weighed over two tons, while the network and other cordage weighed over one and one half tons. It was quite late in the autumn before this monarch of ballons was completed. Prof. Lowe procured the site of the New York Crystal Palace, which had been destroyed by fire, and cleaning away the debris of that once fine edifice, he, on the first of November, 1859, began the inflation of this monster aerostat for the voyage; but owing to a lack in the supply of gas from the street mains, whereby six days would be required to inflate instead of one day, which was necessary for a successful use of the gas, the attempt at that time had to be abandoned. There was not then a newspaper in the civilized world but what noticed, more or less, the extensive preparations he had made for this undertaking, and all sorts of comments went the rounds of the world.

In the spring of 1860, by invitation of a number of members of the Franklin institute, Prof. Lowe came to Philadelphia where Prof. John C. Cresson, then president of the Philadelphia gas works, promised the necessary rapid supply of gas for a trial trip to test the feasibility of inflating and launching into the air this immense aeronautic machine. Older aeronauts from all parts of the world had predicted that an aerostat of this size could not be successfully inflated and launched into the air. Notwithstanding these predictions, a successful trial trip was made from the Point Breeze gas works in June, 1860, where four hundred thousand cubic feet of gas were furnished in four hours. On this trip five passengers were taken, including Mr. Garrick Mallory, of the Philadelphia Inquirer, who wrote an account of the trip which was published in that journal at the time. In this voyage two and a half miles altitude was obtained in passing over the city of Philadelphia, and when near Atlantic City a descent was made to a lower current, which wafted the great aerostat back to within eighteen miles of Philadelphia, where a landing was effected. This immense balloon was handled with so much skill that the departure from the earth with the weight of over eight tons, and the return again, were so gentle that the passengers on board would hardly have known when they left or when they landed had they not seen it accomplished.

So well pleased were Prof. Lowe's friends at his successful managing of an aerostat six times larger than any ever before built that they recommended him to visit Prof. Henry, of the Smithsonian Institute, and, if possible, secure his cooperation, and to that end furnished him with the following letter:—

"To Prof. Joseph Henry, Secretary of the Smithsonian Institute, Washington, D. C. "The undersigned citizens of Philadelphia have taken a deep interest in the attempt of Mr. T. S. C. Lowe to cross the Atlantic by aeronautic machinery, and have confidence that his extensive preparations to effect that object will greatly add to scientific knowledge. Mr. Lowe has individually spent much time and money in the enterprise, and in addition the citizens of Philadelphia have contributed several thousand dollars to further his efforts in demonstrating the feasibility of transatlantic air navigation. With reliance upon Mr. Lowe and his plans we cheerfully recommend him to the favorable consideration of the Smithsonian Institution, and trust such aid and advice will be furnished him by that distinguished body as may assist in the success of the attempt, in which we take a deep interest.

"John C. Cresson, William Hamilton, W. H. Harrison, Henry Seybert, J. Chiston Morris, M. D., Isaac Lea, Fairman Rogers, John C. Fisher, Thomas Stewardson, M. D., J. B. Lippincott, George W. Childs, John Grigg, S. S. Haldeman, John E. Frazer, George Harding, Morton McMichael."

It is needless to say that Prof. Henry received Prof. Lowe with extreme warmth and congeniality, giving him the freedom of the Institution, and from this meeting sprang a lasting friendship.

During Prof. Lowe's intercourse with Prof. Henry he outlined a plan for taking meteoroligical observations at different parts of the continent and from high altitudes by means of balloons and communicating the same by telegraph to a bureau to be established in Washington, whereby weather predictions could be made useful exactly in the same way as it is to-day done by the U. S. signal service. To Prof. Lowe the government is as much indebted as to any other one man for the successful establishment of that service, for it was his plans frequently and freely communicated to Major Myers, during the war, that led to the establishment of this service after the close of the war. There is now in existence considerable correspondence between Prof. Lowe and the late Prof. Joseph Henry, General Myers and others, upon this subject.

Upon the recommendation of Prof. Henry, preparatory to a transatlantic voyage. Prof. Lowe made a trip across the continent in a smaller aerostat, starting from Cincinnati, Ohio, at four o'clock in the morning of April 20, 1861, after taking leave of his friends, among whom were Messrs. Potter and Murat Halstead of the Cincinnati Commercial; he landed on the South Carolina coast at twelve o'clock the same day, making the quickest and longest voyage on record, delivering papers at about a thousand miles distant, still damp from the press in eight hours after they were printed. This voyage was fraught with great interest, both scientific and otherwise, long accounts of it being published at the time. Landing in this way in South Carolina two weeks after the firing on Fort Sumter caused considerable excitement in the Rebel armies, and Prof. Lowe was arrested and thrown into prison, but on producing proofs relative to the scientific objects of the voyage, he was released, and after five days and nights of railroading found his way back to Cincinnati, the point from which he had so recently travelled the same distance in eight hours.

Secretary Chase, then a member of President Lincoln's cabinet, telegraphed at the request of the President to Prof. Lowe to come to Washington and consult with him as to the use of balloons for war purposes. He went and was received by the President with marked attention, spending a night at the Executive Mansion. These interviews resulted in obtaining authority for the organization of the corps of observation or aeronautic corps, with Prof. Lowe at its head as chief aeronaut of the United States army, which position he held for three years, during which time he rendered valuable service to the government. At the end of this time his health became so much impaired that he turned his department over to one of his assistants, and retired on a farm in Chester county, Pa., with the hope of regaining his health. The services rendered the government during his stay in the army were of immense value, as testified to by the commander-in chief, and numerous corps commanders, who had received valuable information to better govern their movements. During this time he made, personally, over three thousand cable ascensions and was the first and only person to establish telegraphic communication from a balloon to various portions of the army and to Washington at the same time. Conspicuous among these occasions were those at the battle of Fair Oaks. These balloons, with assistant aeronauts instructed by Prof. Lowe, were sent to different armies, including the forces on the southern coast and in the west. To make these war balloons efficient on land and water, it became necessary to make many new inventions, conspicuous among which were Prof. Lowe's hydrogen gas generators, for field and ship service. At any time within three hours after halting beside a pool of water he would extract sufficient hydrogen therefrom to inflate one of these balloons, whereby himself and often several officers would mount a thousand or two feet in the air and overlook the country. His renown spread over Europe and South America, and his field system of aeronautics was introduced into the British, French and Brazilian armies. The Emperor of Brazil, through his ministers, made numerous overtures and offered large inducements to Prof. Lowe to take a Major-General's commission in the Brazilian army during the Paraguayan war, to conduct the same line of service as that rendered to the U. S. government, but owing to other engagements he was compelled to decline. He, however, furnished the necessary field apparatus and balloons, with competent assistants, who rendered valuable aid and greatly shortened the duration of that war, especially by observations on the river in Paraguay at Asuncion.

In 1867 Prof. Lowe invented and brought out the ice machine for refrigeration and the manufacture of ice, which is now in general use in warm climates in all parts of the world. In 1872-75 he invented and brought out his famous water-gas process for illumination and heating purposes, which is already lighting over two hundred cities, and is predicted to, ere long, with his later invention in the production of fuel water-gas, and his indestructible metal compounds for incandescent lighting, entirely supersede all other methods of light, heat and power.

At the last exhibition of the Franklin Institute of Philadelphia, Prof. Lowe received three medals and a diploma, the highest award ever given to any one man by that Institution. The first was a diploma and silver medal for his general exhibit of gas works and appliances; second, the Elliot Cresson gold medal, for ''water-gas and incandescent lighting," third, "grand medal of honor for the invention held to be the most useful to mankind."

This sketch may be properly closed by quoting the following from a previous publication: "He has little more than reached middle life and it is warrantable to suppose that his speculative and fertile mind will grasp and produce other valuable inventions." He has already made a number of ingenious lighting, cooking and heating appliance's for using his heating gas, the numerous patent lights of which he holds for the protection of his business.

Prof. Lowe is eminently a domestic man, having a large family of children, whose names are as follows: Louisa F., Ida Alpha, Leon Percival, Ava Eugenie, Augustine Margaret, Blanche, Thaddeus, Edna, Zoe, and Sobieski. The three eldest were born- in New York.


Contributed 2025 Mar 18 by Norma Hass, extracted from History of Coos County, New Hampshire by Georgia D. Merrill, published in 1888, pages 399-425.


Genealogy Web Templates
This page was last updated 03/18/2025