Presidio County Texas
A Short TimeLine for
Contributed by Verner Bonner
- 1857 Milton Favor set up headquarters on Cibolo Ranch. He was married to Senorita Francisca Ramirez.
- 1874 Barbed wire invented. First barbed wire fence in Presidio County was built by W. F. Mitchell in 1888.
- 1875 Presidio County Organized.
- 1880's Pioneers started coming to Presidio County.
- 1882 Southern Pacific Railroad came to Marfa.
- 1883 Silver discovered south of Marfa. The town of Shafter became a boom town.
- 1885 Marfa Public School opened. Marfa High School was instituted in 1900.
- 1913 Camp Marfa was established. It became known officially as Fort D. A. Russell January 1, 1930.
- 1916-1926 Frank Duncan photographed this area. His collection, housed in the Presidio County Museum is considered very prestigious and valuable.
- 1914-1918 Highland Hereford Breeders' Association organized and active.
- 1955 "Giant" movie was filmed here.
- 1970 Twelfth World Soaring Championships held at the old army airbase East of Marfa. This was the only world championship ever held in the U.S.
Return to Return to the Presidio County, Texas History & Genealogy